Subject: Linux emulation and quake(2)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Horwood <rich@mondial.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/01/1998 09:15:36
Ok, the final stumbling block I have here setting up my PC.  Before I
saw the light and installed NetBSD in favour of linux (which managed to
shit itself, neccesitating a fresh install.) I had quake and quake2 running.

Now I can run quake in X happily (albeit without sound - no /dev/dsp)
but I cannot run it on the console.  The message is "Not running in a
graphics-capable virtual console".  Quake2 has the same problem, but in X
it dies for no apparent reason attempting to start a game (the intro loads
fine).

Now I realize that being able to play Quake(2) under NetBSD is not likely to
be a top priority for developers, but I was wondering if anyone else has
any suggestions/hints on what I can do here.  Specifically, how to set up
the console so that the svgalib graphics work, if at all possible.

Thanks :)

-R.