Subject: Re: fvwm
To: Jym & Sharon Brittain <boleyhs@brightok.net>
From: Robert Alexander Baxter <alex@santa.asf.alaska.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/27/1998 09:15:38
Jym & Sharon Brittain wrote:

> I got the sucker compiled, whew. Now when I launch, I get an error:
>
> [FVWM][main]: <<ERROR>> CAN"T OPEN DISPLAY
>
> Can someone talk me through this one?

First of all, what are you launching fvwm from?
An xterm?  You cannot launch fvwm if you are already
running another window manager, unless the currently
running window manager has the capability of exec'ing
another process in its place.

Also, any X program will require the environment
variable DISPLAY to be set, so the program knows
how to contact the X server which is responsible
for displaying the programs graphics and delivering
user input to the program.  If you are starting an
X program on the same computer that the screen is on,
you can do this in a) the /bin/sh or /bin/bash shell,
or in b) the /bin/csh or /bin/tcsh shell:

   a) DISPLAY=:0
      export DISPLAY

   b) setenv DISPLAY :0

-Alex (:-)