Subject: Re: Dual booting Windoze/NetBSD
To: Richard Horwood <rich@mondial.com.au>
From: Robert Alexander Baxter <alex@santa.asf.alaska.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/26/1998 09:25:43
Richard Horwood wrote:

> I have 2 drives in my PC - the master drive is dedicated to NetBSD,
> the slave is dedicated to Windoze 95 (mainly for games *heh*).  Unlike
> linux, I cannot find a way to boot windoze 95 off the secondary disk
> without a boot floppy disk.  Is there a way to boot Windoze 95 without
> resorting to a boot floppy disk?
>
> Do I need to install LILO on a floppy disk or something, or is there a
> bootloader that will manage to boot dos of a secondary disk available
> somewhere?

You can install LILO on the MBR of your first hard disk,
and use it to boot either NetBSD or Windows 95.  The latest
version of LILO includes a cool feature which can trick
certain operating systems' boot loaders to think that the
hard disks are in a different order (in order to boot
Windows 95 from the second hard disk, for instance).  For
example, take a look at the following excerpt from a
lilo.conf file:

   other=/dev/hda1
	label=netbsd
	table=/dev/hda
   other=/dev/hdb1
	label=windows
	table=/dev/hdb
	map-drive = 0x80
		to = 0x81
	map-drive = 0x81
		to = 0x80

The entry in this lilo.conf which starts with
"other=/dev/hdb1" could be used to boot Windows 95
from the second hard disk.  When windows starts up,
it will actually see "/dev/hdb1" as drive C: even
if you have one or more FAT partitions on your
first hard disk.  This is because the "map-drive"
statements direct LILO to switch the order of entries
in the little hard disk table which BIOS creates
when the computer starts up.  The first hard disk
that the BIOS finds is always numbered "0x80," the
second hard disk that BIOS finds is always numbered
"0x81," and so on.

-Alex (:-)
 alex@santa.asf.alaska.edu