Subject: Re: Modem problem (DTR not going high?)
To: Jonathan Marsden <Jonathan@XC.Org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/25/1998 15:23:22
Jonathan Marsden wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Thanks for your in-depth reply, but I still don't see the
> > difference. It must be a configuration thing as when I have kermit
> > running on the NetBSD box, the modem does answer and connects,
> > however when I have getty running instead, the modem doesn't answer.
>
> Check which control lines are high when getty is running, vs which are
> high when Kermit has opened the port.  And/or, as a test only (don't
> leave it this way!) try setting &C0&D0 and maybe also &S0.
>
> It is several years since I met this issue, which is why I sat silent
> the first time around (!), but I'd be 99% sure the answer lies in the
> area of ensuring DTR (or just possibly DSR or similar) are believed by
> the modem to be high, so the modem believes it has a working DTE to
> talk to, and therefore it is worthwhile answering the phone.  The
> underlying idea is that you do not want a modem answering calls when
> the DTE (computer) it is connected to is down, that would waste the
> time (and money, if a long distance call) of the calling party.

I have now switched to a modem with more control lights, and a printed
manual, but still don't seem to find the essence of the problem. Both
with getty and with kermit running on the NetBSD box, the DTR light is
on (ie., no volts on line) and the AA light is on (once one sets
s0<>0). There is the same pattern of lights in both instances:
      TST  HS  AA  CD  OH  RD  SD  TR  MR
       on  on  on off off off off  on  on
yet with
  188 ??  S      0:00.05 /usr/libexec/uugetty std.9600 tty00
running, the modem never answers, but with kermit, it does.
Any further suggestion greatfully received!

Cheers,

Patrick