Subject: Re: Upgrade to 1.3.1
To: Richard Horwood <rich@mondial.com.au>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/16/1998 13:53:20
> I want to upgrade my NetBSD 1.3 system to the latest version (-current)
> and I am only dimly aware that this requires getting a snapshot or
> something, running sup pointed at some site or other carrying the lates CVS
> tree and running a make world or a make <something> to upgrade it all.
> Very confusing :(

Try

sup -ov /usr/share/examples/supfiles/sup.au.netbsd.org
cd /usr/src/sys/arch/???/conf
 - edit your kernel configuration including
   options         COMPAT_13       # NetBSD 1.3,
config YOUR_KERNEL
 - if this generates lots of errors you might need
   cd /usr/sbin/config
   make cleandir && make depend && make && make install
cd ../compile/YOUR_KERNEL
make cleandir && make depend && make
mv /netbsd /netbsd.old
mv netbsd /
shutdown -r now
cd /usr/src
make build

You might want to consult Dave Burgess' *BSD FAQ at
http://cynjut.neonramp.com/FAQ.html

If anyone spots errors, please shout!

Hope this helps,

Patrick