Subject: Re: Cdrom for Sparc 2 / off topic
To: None <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Bruce Walker <bmw@visgen.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/03/1998 19:49:33
Jason Thorpe writes:

> On Sun, 3 May 1998 13:51:57 -0700 (PDT)
>  rickgc@calweb.com (Rick Copeland) wrote:
>
>  > Will a standard SCSI cdrom work with a SS2 or is there something special
>  > about a Sun cdrom that requires the use of one to work?
>
> If you want to boot from it, it has to be a Sun CD-ROM; they have a
> firmware hack that allows 512 byte sectors, so the Sun PROM can just
> treat it as a disk.

Check if the CD-ROM you are using has a jumper on it to select
sector size.  Some CD-ROMs I bought when 2x was still available,
like the Toshiba XM3401 and a similar Sony, have a jumper to select
between 512-byte and a larger size (1K or 2K, I don't recall which).

It took some digging to get the jumper info for the Toshiba as I
recall.  It was there but "hidden".

-bmw