Subject: Re: Spammer on the list?
To: Anders Eriksson <aer@cdt.luth.se>
From: Aidan Corey <199804$ac$27fd@demi.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/27/1998 23:48:52
Anders Eriksson wrote:
> I got this 'reply' to my question about an STB X-server. Obviously someone has
> subscribed to netbsd-help for the sole purpose of harvesting valid mail
> adresses. I suggest the administrator kicks him out.

support@ant.co.uk is the helpdesk address for ANT Ltd, and the message
you have received is the standard acknowledgement it emits when
someone emails it.

It looks as though a netbsd-help subscriber there has accidentally
forwarded some of their mail to the support address.  Alternatively,
for the paranoid, someone has maliciously subscribed them to
netbsd-help in order to embarrass them.

Of course, there's a lot to be said for taking the same precautions on
a mailing list as you would on a newsgroup, in case a real spammer
does decide to harvest addresses.

--
Aidan
(who sometimes uses ANT's software, and has no other connection with them)