Subject: ppp
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Claude Foley <Claude.Foley@cns.eds.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/24/1998 13:08:00
Hi,

I need help, I'm running NetBSD-1.1, but as soon I will have internet
access I will get 1.3.

I recently got an ISP and I want to start pppd

I have in /etc/ppp:  options, ip-up,  ip-down, nat, chat-ppp0,
chap-secrets.

The login script chap-ppp0 seems to work fine, it log in, I receive
local-addr and remote addr.

The local address change on every login and start with 207.something
The remote address is always the same and start with 209.something

ifconfig -a report those address for ppp0, which is fine
netstat -rn  look good to me.

But when I try to ping my local address, it does not work

I used tcproute to check what happening and I see something like host
unreachable.

in the script ip-up, ip-down and nat there is a call to ipnat, but there
is no file call ipnat on my system could it be it.

what should I have in netstart, resolv.conf, hostname.le0, etc.

I was talking with a guy and he told me that may be the problem cause by
the fact
that local address start with 207 and remote address start with 209. He
tolds me that the
ip forwarding flags has to be turn on

What is the minimal setup to ftp to netbsd.org( does named has to run )

When pppd is running could I use route add to add what is missing by
hand.

I know that I'm not giving much detail and it is because the only access
I have wright now is my e-mail at work and I'm my sun 3/60 is home.

But if there is any detail needed, just tell me I will write it down in
an e-mail.

Thanks to everyone, I'm eager to have internet access.

If anybody has any spare time to help me over the phone, I could call
anywhere in USA and Canada for $0.12 a minute so I don't care if it is a
long distance call. The only thing is we have to take care of time zone,
I'm in New Jersey.

Claude Foley.  A poor guy isolated from the rest of the world.