Subject: Re: Starting (needing?) a linux Xserver
To: Anders Eriksson <aer@cdt.luth.se>
From: Robert Alexander Baxter <alex@santa.asf.alaska.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/24/1998 08:43:40
Anders Eriksson wrote:

> I got a STB Velocity 128 yesterday and am having
> trouble with Xfree86. From the Xfree86/3.3.2
> installation tool XF86Setup it looks like the card
> is supported. But when the server is fired up the
> machine hangs and I have to reboot.

> PS My system is vanilla 1.3.1 with GENERIC kernel.

I noticed you specify that you use the GENERIC kernel,
but thought I'd mention this anyway:  If you don't
have INSECURE set in your kernel, exactly what you
have described will occur if the X Server tries to
use linear memory access.  (The one I use, for the
Matrox MGA Millennium, does.)

If your kernel has INSECURE set, then there must be
some other problem.

If you don't want INSECURE set in your kernel, unpack
the file "xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/apNetBSD.shar"
and you can build a kernel driver which lets you,
without setting INSECURE, run X Servers which use linear
memory access.

-Alex (:-)
 alex@santa.asf.alaska.edu