Subject: Re: vmstat output is wrong
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/22/1998 14:11:01
On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	Given that the 'cs' column is part of the 'faults' section, my guess
> 	is that leaves us with rounding errors.
>
> 	In the case given, I've listed the total, and a _possible_ set of
> 	real values that might have resulted in the numbers shown
>
> 		> us sy id	(total)	   (real  us  sy  id )
> 		> 64  2 34	100
> 		>  1  0 99	100
> 		>  2  2 96	100
> 		>  5  2 94	101	         4.6 1.7 93.7
> 		> 12  7 80	 99		12.3 7.3 80.4
> 		>  0  0 99	 99		 0.3 0.3 99.4
>
> 	Of course.. I could be totally off base here :)
> 	If this is the case, and AIX 'fudges' the numbers to make them add
> 	up to 100%, NetBSD is actually being 'more accurate'....
>
> 		David/absolute

Thanks for the correction... I now realize I made a mistake when looking
at the output from vmstat on both NetBSD and the Sun workstation (running
SunOS). Most of my time is spent working with AIX, and that operating
system does have a "wait time" column, whereas NetBSD and SunOS does not.
I was simply looking at the last four columns on the NetBSD and SunOS
system and assumed that one of those was the "wait time".

Sorry to bother everyone. I'm sure I'll get some emails from
different people telling me not to post stupid things like this, right?

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens Energy & Automation, Inc. |          : bstark@empros.com      |
| Power Transmission & Distribution |                                   |
| 7225 Northland Drive              | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Brooklyn Park, MN 55428   USA     | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |