Subject: Re: Severe problem with mountd
To: (Brian C. Grayson) <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/1998 05:13:02
On 20-Apr-98 Brian C. Grayson spoke unto us all:
# Tim Rightnour wrote:
# >
# > I seem to be having severe problems with mountd on a heavily loaded NFS
# local
# > network all running 1.3.
#
#   If these boxes used to run 1.2 or 1.2A-H or earlier:
#     You might want to make sure that the old 1.{1,2,?} binaries for
#   mountd and nfsd in /sbin have been deleted, since they would be
#   executed first if they still exist (root path is usually
#   /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin or something similar).  mountd
#   and nfsd currently live in /usr/sbin.  If this is your
#   problem, you might want to check for other such ``stale''
#   executables -- I posted a message to current-users a few
#   months ago with a script for finding such things.
#
#   I _hope_ this is your problem, because it's easy to fix!

Unfortunately no.. These machines were all installed from scratch with 1.3.
The problem is very intermittent, and sometimes it works just fine, some times
one or two die.  Last time was the most rediculous.. as *all* of them decided
to wedge.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html