Subject: Re: using CVS while root
To: Sean Witham <Sean.Witham@asa.co.uk>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/1998 13:56:53
According to Sean Witham:

>I've checked the manual but can't find any notes about root not being
>allowed to use CVS. Does anyone know why this has happened or what I
>have done wrong and maybe what I can do to continue.

The CVS code checks your user name.  I suppose they do it so it is
easier to track who committed the changes.  There are a couple of
things you can do 1) log in as a normal user and then su to root - the
cvs commit will be done in that user's name but override any
permissions or 2) change the ownership of the source tree to be a
normal user so there are no permission problems (this is what I do but
I am the only one using the machine).

  +++ Divide By Cucumber Error.  Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
  - Hogfather, Terry Pratchett.