Subject: Re: Installing from boot floppy
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
From: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/16/1998 10:42:04
> I'm having trouble with the boot floppy install.
>
> For some reason, sysinst (?) thinks m root partition is too big >1024 meg,
> even though I use the default config, 277 Meg Root, I think.

Have you specified the geometry of your drive correctly? If your geometry
is currently some untranslated values (usual result being the number of
cylinders >1024) then sysinst might be specifying the partitions in that
untranslated geometry. I'm not privy to the internals of sysinst, though,
this is just my best guess as to what might be going on.

> I can get by that by telling it to proceed, but I cannot get the network
> configured for ftp install.
>
> I've given it valid host name, domain name, and address, valid gateway
> address, and tried with and without nameserver addresses. I got the media
> right thanks to suggestions from the list.

Not sure what might be happening here, but it might be worth forgetting about
names altogether and just trying to do everything with IP addresses. That's
all that is needed when you get right down to it, and it cuts out a lot of
other places where things might be going wrong.

	- Joel