Subject: Re: Installing from boot floppy
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
From: George Coulouris <glc5@TC.Cornell.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/1998 12:58:04
> I'm having trouble with the boot floppy install.
>
> For some reason, sysinst (?) thinks m root partition is too big >1024 meg,
> even though I use the default config, 277 Meg Root, I think.

I'm relatively low on the experience totem pole, but 277M root seems
awfully big to me.. I set mine to the nearest cylinder boundary around 20
megs.

> I can get by that by telling it to proceed, but I cannot get the network
> configured for ftp install.
>
> I've given it valid host name, domain name, and address, valid gateway
> address, and tried with and without nameserver addresses. I got the media
> right thanks to suggestions from the list.
>
> For some reason, the card doesn't seem to get configured,
>
> I see (approximately) ping send to: no route to host.
>
> if I quit out of the installer, ifconifig shows an unconfigured interface.

I would bail out of sysinst as soon as the floppy is done booting,
manually ifconfig the card and get the network working, then run sysinst.

Personally, my experiences with sysinst have left a sour taste in my
mouth. Lately, I just disklabel by hand, mount root partition to
/mnt, your usr partition to /mnt/usr, ftp the tarballs manually, and unzip
them by hand.

George L. Coulouris <glc5@tc.cornell.edu>
http://www.tc.cornell.edu/~glc5/
Scientific Computational Support