Subject: Re: xosview eating memory?
To: None <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/09/1998 08:51:56
Nathan Gelbard wrote:

> Greetz,
>
>         I run xOSview constantly on my NetBSD 1.3/Xfree86 box. After a couple
> of hours, xosview will be eating about 8mb of RAM.

  The new swapctl()-based swap meter code had a leak (thanks to
Scott Stevens for the swapctl code, and the leak fix).  This has
been fixed in version 1.6.0, which has integrated all of the
patches and also handles UVM kernels.  The 1.6.0 release will be
done as soon as the Linux and HP/UX ports are verified.

  If you want to fix your local version, modify the function
BSDGetSwapCtlInfo() to do a free(sep) at the end of the
function.  I've had a 1.6.0 xosview running for several hours
now, and it's steadily using 1168K, so I'm pretty sure there are no other
leaks in it.

  If you would like to beta-test xosview-1.6.0 for us, you can
download a snapshot from
http://lore.ece.utexas.edu/~bgrayson/xosview/xosview-1.6.0.c.tar.gz,
or simply do the following, to use the pkgsrc stuff (off the top
of my head, so there may be mistakes):

0.  Copy /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/xosview/* to /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/xosview-beta.

1.  Modify the DISTNAME in /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/xosview-beta/Makefile
    to xosview-1.6.0.c

2.  Comment out the MAKE_* += lines -- they should no longer be
    needed.

3.  rm -rf the work directory and the patches directory.

4.  make makesum && make && make install
    The md5 checksum (in files/md5) should be:
    MD5 (xosview-1.6.0.c.tar.gz) = 985a1ee64eb0f7eeb6a9b336461062fb

5.  Please send me a note if you do so, either successfully or
    not, and I'll let you know when 1.6.0 is released so you can
    eliminate all traces of the beta code from your system.

  Note that a UVM xosview will be built only if UVM= is in your
/etc/mk.conf, and that a non-UVM version will not work with a
UVM kernel and vice versa (most of the meters will work, but the
mem and page meters may be bogus).

  Thanks!

  Brian (xosview-NetBSD person)
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering