Subject: Re: Need help with pci0 error message...
To: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/07/1998 00:23:22
Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com> writes:

> In addition to the preceding error message, I noticed that there is now
> a 10 second or so delay just after the following sequence of messages
> come out:
>
>   wdc0 at isa0 port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14
>   wd0 at wdc0 drive 0: <WDC AC33100H>
>   wd0: 3020MB, 6136 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sec
>   wd0: using 16-sector 16-bit pio transfers, lba addressing
>   wd1 at wdc0 drive 1: <ST32140A>
>   wd1: 2015MB, 4095 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sec
>   wd1: using 16-sector 16-bit pio transfers, lba addressing
>
> This delay never happened with the revision A05 BIOS. Could someone
> familar with this part of the boot sequence explain to me what NetBSD
> is trying to do at this point?

It is probing for further drives; you can get this sort
of pause after fd0 is found as well.

Changing "wd*	at wdc? drive ?" to (in your case)

wd0	at wdc0 drive 0
wd1	at wdc0 drive 1

because of

>   wd0 at wdc0 drive 0: <WDC AC33100H>
>   wd1 at wdc0 drive 1: <ST32140A>

would eliminate this delay.

I find removing all the devices that are not used
makes for happier living and faster boots.

It seems your new BIOS has new support for your PCI IDE controller.

>   Intel 82371FB IDE controller (PIIX) (IDE mass storage, interface
>     0x80, revision 0x02) at pci0 dev 7 function 1 not configured

This is a normal message on my system.

	Sean.