Subject: How do I make backups?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/11/1997 14:28:04
Hi, I recently got a DAT drive and was wondering what's a good way to
backup my NetBSD partitions... dump, I guess? Is there any way to get it
automatically dump all my filesystems? fstab has that dump field, and dump
has -w and -W, but I couldn't find any way to actually get it to do the
dump, instead of just talking about it :) If I have to dump the
filesystems individually, is it safe to just do them one after another on
the same tape, and use mt to find the one I want if I ever need to
restore?

Is there any way for dump to figure out how much a tape will hold? By
default, it seems to think tapes are really tiny and my backup'll take
1000 tapes or something like that :) I use "-B 5000000" for a 120m DDS2
tape, but that's just a guess... is there a better way? And why can't dump
figure out when it's reached the end of tape and then prompt for a new
one, instead of assuming fixed sized tapes?

Whassa "modified Tower of Hanoi algorithm" and do I care? :)

Any other tips anyone wants to share?

TIA,
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++