Subject: Re: uucp stuff...?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/01/1997 23:10:32
> From: Hauke Fath

[snip!]

>a) You want to play with sendmail: Get the bat book. Work your way through
>it and when you reach the other side with a sendmail.cf between your teeth
>which makes sendmail behave, by all means write a HOWTO.

sorry...i just gotta jump in here...

you're all talking about the batbook like it's the only good book on
sendmail in existence (if you don't count printing out the source and
binding it :), which is simply not true.  i love the batbook.  i have
since the first edition in '93 (i got it hot off the shelf).  then i
got the second edition, and finally the little batbook (i call it
"robin") which lives in my bag.  but there's something else...

there's a book called "sendmail: theory and practice", by frederick
m. avolio and paul a. (bind) vixie (published 1995, isbn
1-55558-127-7) that it absolutely phenomenal.  you can actually read
it from cover to cover, unlike the big refernce-type structure of the
batbook.  in it, you are walked through building a cf file from
scratch, covering all the important features of the cf file (this work
is based around vixie and avolio's experiences at digital
administering sendmail).  yes, the book is a little dated, but after i
read it, i started writing my own rulesets from scratch (and these
days i receive far less spam than i used to).

it's less expensive than the batbook (32.75 vs. 39.95 for 2ed), and
it's much slimmer, but i think it's highly worth it.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet