Subject: nuked disk w/ disklabel -R
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/30/1997 18:06:19
Hi,

in an attempt to get ext2fs going, i nuked my sd0 today, which contained
some DOS, WinNT and Linux partition, plus a boot selector (osbs V2.0b80,
to boot NetBSD from sd1.

Mounting the MSDOS-Partition from sd0 worked fine. When accessing the
ext2fs-partitions, I only got 'Device not configured', though. As I
assumed this was because there was no 'bsd'-like disklabel on sd0, I tried
to write one ('disklabel sd0' complained about no disklabel).

'disklabel -r sd0' told me there's no label on the disk (which sounded
ok), 'disklabel -e sd0' told me there was no NetBSD partition on sd0 and
didn't want to write anything. So, i did the following to get the label:

# disklabel sd0 >x
# disklabel -R -r sd0 x
# reboot

After that, osbs and every partition (or rather, the partition table?) was
nuked and the disk was unusable. After switching the BIOS to boot from
sd1 I can boot NetBSD, but i'd very much like to get my partitions on the
other disk back. Is there some way to get the 'old' partition table back
that was destroyed? I still do have the above file ('x'), in case that
helps.

BTW, where does (did) disklabel write the label to - obviously not to some
NetBSD partition as there was none.

Any help appreciated!

Hubert

--