Subject: Re: uucp stuff...?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solutions.solon.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/29/1997 19:28:50
On 8/29/97 at 3:09 PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:

> I have done UUCP the other way; I believe the big thing to do is set up a
> 'smart relay' host which is a host known to be on the other end of the UUCP
> link.  :)

I'm not worried about processing domain names, if that's what a 'smart
relay' does. What I want is to have sendmail automatically know to route
outbound mail through uucp and to automatically grab incoming from *from*
uucp and plunk it down into mailboxes.

Right now sendmail doesn't think it ought to send mail out via uucp, and if
mail comes in through uucp, sendmail doesn't know what to do with it. It
thinks that it must be forwaring the mail elsewhere. How can I convince it
otherwise?

In concrete terms: I have uucp set up. All the programs are ready to go,
and I tap in a letter via elm. Since I'm not connected live, sendmail grabs
the mail, sees that it can't connect to the sendmail running on the remote
system, and in fact can't even check out MX records or anything good like
that, and stores the mail in /var/spool/mqueue for a later attempt, at
which time it hopes I'll be connected.

I want sendmail to think that I'll NEVER be connected. I want it to humbly
concede to my wishes, and feed my mail to uucp like a good-mannered bit of
right-thinking software, but I'm not sure how to specify in sendmail.cf
that uucp is the primary means by which mail ought to come and go on my
system.

I'm hoping to avoid shelling out money for the sendmail book for a few
reasons. First, I don't have the money. Second, I didn't see anything
immediately obvious while thumbing through it in the book store. Third, it
just seems to me that this ought to be a simple enough task to perform, and
I hate to think that throwing money at yet another book is my only
solution. I should probably do it anyway, just because it would be useful
to know the ins and outs of sendmail, but here we come back squarely to
problem #1, which right now cannot be surmounted. :/

Thanks in advance for the help.

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
      PGPKeyID: 0x25B3D5B5   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();