Subject: Re: uucp stuff...?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/29/1997 13:42:07
On 7/15/97 at 1:16 AM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:

> I have been running my SE/30 as a mail&news-server on an UUCP feed for more
> than half a year.

Gaah! How?!?

I'm having a hellish time understanding sendmail, and I don't have $30 for
the book, although I'll get the book as soon as humanly possible. (I *do*
have the sendmail pocket reference, but that doesn't explain things in
sufficient detail for me, unfortunately.)

Is there *any* easy way to tell sendmail that uucp is its primary method of
dealing with the world? I even got so far as to successfully poll for mail,
pulling in a bunch, but then sendmail kicked in and instead of delivering
the mail to mailboxes, it looked like it was going to try to repackage the
mail and send it out somewhere.

???

I'll be slavishly grateful if you could explain what I need to do in
sendmail.cf to make all of this work properly. I don't care about giving up
TCP-based mail access - all I really want is to have uucp working. :)

Thanks in advance for the help!

PS: I don't run news yet, and I'll like not use uucp for it even if I do
end up pulling it in at some point. Also, I'm running Taylor UUCP 1.06.1 on
NetBSD/mac68k-current, July snapshot, with a custom -current kernel that's
a couple days old. If it helps, here's where my stuff resides:

mason$ ls /usr/local/bin/uu*
/usr/local/bin/uucp       /usr/local/bin/uuname     /usr/local/bin/uuto
/usr/local/bin/uulog      /usr/local/bin/uustat     /usr/local/bin/uux

mason$ ls /etc/uucp
call   config dial   port   sys

mason$ ls /usr/libexec/uucp
uuchk   uucico  uuconv  uusched uuxqt

mason$ ls /var/spool/uucp
Debug     LOGFILE   STATFILE  myhost

To reiterate a point from before, I *do* seem to be able to poll
successfully. What I want most is information on how I can make sendmail
work with uucp, and forget that SMTP exists. Later, I'll be setting up a
POP server, but that has to wait until I get sendmail to interface with
uucp.

I have "The Unix System Administration Handbook," volume 2, and while that
has chapters on sendmail and uucp, I can't seem to find anything that will
tell me how to set up uucp as my mail transport agent. (I assume that's the
correct term, at any rate.) Also, the (otherwise rather extensive)
documentation that comes with Taylor UUCP

Thanks in advance for the help! I hate feeling this impotent! It's just
that sendmail.cf is totally alien to me. Eventually I'll understand it, but
right now it's baffling me. :/

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
      PGPKeyID: 0x25B3D5B5   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();