Subject: SCSI tape driver problems under NetBSD 1.2
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Ribbens <jon@oaktree.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/27/1997 18:23:22
I'm having a few problems using a SCSI DAT drive from NetBSD 1.2.
The tape drive is identified as follows:

scsibus0 at aic0
probe(aic0:5:0): sync, offset 8, period 200nsec
st0 at scsibus0 targ 5 lun 0: <ARCHIVE, 4586XX 28887-XXX, 4BGG> SCSI2 1/sequential removable
st0: density code 0x24, 512-byte blocks, write-enabled
ch0 at scsibus0 targ 5 lun 1: <ARCHIVE, 4586XX 28887-XXX, 4BGG> SCSI2 8/changer removable
ch0: 4 slots, 1 drive, 1 picker

I'm backing up files to the drive as follows:

dump -0u -f - -b 32 -B 262144 / | ssh tapemachine dd of=/dev/nrst0 bs=32768

When I try to restore the files, e.g. 'restore -vi', I can select the
files I want fine, and some of them I can restore, but some of them
(presumably those later in the tape) it will never reach, the machine
completely locks up before it gets there (requiring a press of the
reset switch).

So, either 'restore' or the tape driver is hanging the machine. I am
hoping that a userland program couldn't hang the machine, so I presume
that the tape driver is the problem. Is there any changes since 1.2
which is likely to affect this, and if so, how do I make these changes?

Many thanks in advance,

Jon
____
\  //    Jon Ribbens    //