Subject: Re: Q: swap-filesystems <-> vnd-swapfiles ?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/18/1997 14:22:28
In message <199708182003.NAA00157@lestat.nas.nasa.gov>, Jason Thorpe writes:

>Swap devices are still useful, yes.  It's likely that you'll get slightly
>better performance swapping directly to a fast disk, rather than to a file,

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask.  I've always
believed in separate spindle for swap as an obvious benefit, but how
much performance does it really buy you?  If the separate disk is an
older drive, something like a Quantum LPS series, and you could put a
swap partition (or file) on something like a Seagate Barracuda, which
is actually the performance win? Has anyone done any tests like this?

:: Mike ::