Subject: Re: X windows
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: John R. Daily <jdaily@bbn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/18/1997 13:46:30

David Brownlee wrote:
>       Have you tried runnign startx as root?
>       What framebuffers are erported on boot (or dmesg)?
>       Do their device nodes exist in /dev?

Yes, this is all run as root.

Among the apparent causes of my problem (no screens found) is
that the graphics devices in /dev are not configured.
/dev/cgsix0 shows up in dmesg on a properly configured Sparc 5,
but there is nothing comparable on the one which will not
run X.

The device files are present in /dev, but nothing apparently
has told the kernel how to relate them to the graphics card
present in the machine.

There must be additional work required beyond installing the
basic X files; I need to know what to do next.

--
John R. Daily
jdaily@bbn.com