Subject: Re: Backup possibilities
To: Allan E. Strand <astrand@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
From: None <jduncan@papyrus-inc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/01/1997 16:32:27
<snipped that he had a p133/adaptec>

> My concern is that in my new situation, I will not have a method for
> backing data up.  I'd like to rectify this situation.  I think the
> total backup space needed will probably be 3 gigs or less for a good
> time to come.  Another constraint is that I would like to come in
> under $500 for this piece of hardware.  Otherwise, I'm pretty
> flexible.  Also, it's ok with me to use more than one
> tape/disk/whatever  for the full backup, although it would be nice to
> use only a single piece of media for the incrementals.
>
> So what do y'all think?
>
> A.

I would reccommend that you merely keep your eye on
misc.forsale.computers.workstation and try to find something
similar to an aging Sun 4mm tape drive. The little guy will
be external, scsi, and recognized by anything because it is
merely an Archive tape. You should achieve about 2g nominal,
3g actual tape space. 4mm tapes are very fast, and since
normal backup space for suns nowadays is in the 16g range,
you could probably find people trying to unload the old tapes.

This sort of thing is always cheaper on the workstation market
rather than on the PC market. I'm sure there are HP tapes
and such that'd suffice.

I have one on my NT box, and it's great. I kind of wish I owned
it, but it's currently my employer's. It takes as long to do
2.5g as my old QIC tape would take doing 400M. What I would
definitely not reccommend would be to get any sort of QIC tape,
because nobody really knows what standard they go by anymore,
in spite of their so-called inexpensiveness.

_john

#ifdef _DEBUG
#undef _john
#define _john _DEBUG_JOHN