Subject: Re: pmap_collect messages
To: John Maier <johnam@mail.kemper.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/04/1997 13:08:44
Quoting John Maier,

> I've been using the x86 1.2.1 for awhile and have been quite happy.  However I keep getting messages like this...

> Jul  4 09:07:55 news /netbsd: pmap_collect(f8747d84) pmap_collect(f8728e84)

> 1) Why?

> 2) How do I stop them.

> There seems to be no pattern but gcc loves to spit them out!

1) It means that a process is being swapped out. When doing this,
   unused physical pages can (optionally) be garbage collected.
   The function pmap_collect() is called for that purpose. However,
   it is not implemented in the i386 pmap module. The only
   thing it does is print the message you are seeing if DEBUG
   is defined. In -current, there is also a condition for
   printing this message (pmapdebug & PDB_COLLECT), but in 1.2.1
   you will see this message.

2) You can comment it out, or put the pmapdebug & PDB_COLLECT condition
   in the code. The message is harmless, although the function
   should be implemented sometime.

- Frank