Subject: Re: VM performance
To: None <David.Eckhardt@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Karl Skibinski <charly@p42.swb.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/24/1997 22:04:10
HI!

> One thing I've noticed is what I call "blinky-light mode".  During times of
> heavier-than-normal memory activity, often related to X, the system will
> appear to wedge (no mouse tracking, no keyboard echo) for as much as 30
> seconds or a minute.  If I look down at my disk controller status LED, it
> will be flashing on and off at around .5 or 1 Hz, but I will typically not
> hear a lot of seek activity from the drive.  Eventually the drive will start
> seeking and everything will come back to life.
>
> [...]
>
> Does this match anybody else's observed behavior?

Yeah, I have!

In my case this lasts no full minute, but it is a sinificant period so
everytime I take a look under my desk to see what the machine is doing
when it's not responding. Also I think the blinking rate is higher, I
would (recalling from memory) say it's about 2 to 4 Hz.

I've got a P133 with 32 MB RAM and a SCSI subsystem (Adaptec 2940 with
IBM DORS 32160).

I'll also think this only happens, when swap space is in use.

Greetings, Charly!