Subject: Odd warning(error?) from savecore at boot
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joel Reicher <void@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/22/1997 17:26:20
This is not a problem for me (yet?) and so I'm asking more out of
curiosity, but here goes.

At present, for various reasons, I have two NetBSD installations. One of
them is 1.2, and is on wd0 (my first IDE drive). That disk also has MS-DOS
on it. The second installation is 1.2.1 and is on wd1, and on this drive
NetBSD has the whole disk.

Currently my method of booting the 1.2.1 installation is to load the boot
blocks from the 1.2 installation, but then select the 1.2.1 kernel on wd1
for booting. It's a temporary situation, but I assume there's nothing
wrong with it.

Anyway, everything seems to work just fine except for the message that
savecore dumps out, which goes something like:
savecore: /dev/wd0c device not configured

Yes, that's right. Partition _c_. No typos there. And to make things
worse mount doesn't complain when I mount /dev/wd0a, or any of the DOS
partitions on wd0. It's confusing the hell out of me.

And before anyone tells me that my 1.2 boot should be doing something
similar, I should probably say that I've compiled that kernel in such a
way that it doesn't see the second disk, so I don't know if it would do
something similar.

Would be interesting to know why this is happening. Any takers? :)

	- Joel Reicher