Subject: Re: Dial-up w/ pppd
To: John Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/21/1997 13:12:12
On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, John Duncan wrote:

> The kernel ppp service does not naturally do demand-dialup, at least, not
> with the version I use. What does work is the ppp-to-tun program, also
> called iij-ppp, or user-ppp. I'm not altogether sure of its status with
> netbsd, but it's used frequently to get ppp on freebsd and BSDI. I'd
> reccommend doing a search on "ppp unix" on yahoo and altavista, and looking
> for japanese names:)
>
> It has a way of doing demand-dialed ppp by waiting for packets to arrive at
> the interface and then dailing the network to send them. It's hard to
> configure, but then, isn't ppp always.

	NetBSD's ppp has done demand dialup since at least 1.2 - I forget
	when it actually became available, but I've been using it
	personally since 1.2 :)

	What it wont do is demand dialup with dynamic IP addresses - you
	need at least a static local IP address.

	If iij-ppp can manage dynamic local IP addresses that would be
	real interesting :)

                David/abs               abs@anim.dreamworks.com

    --- Oxycodone (Percocet) is definitely great stuff...  However on ---
    --- balance its not worth having wisdom teeth extracted to obtain ---