Subject: Re: SUN3 : X-terminal or diskless usage ?
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@shell.aros.net>
From: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/18/1997 01:16:19
On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Michael K. Sanders wrote:

> In message <XFMail.970417233143.pmal@hol.fr>, Philippe MALINGE writes:
> >I own two SUN3 but only one disk.
> >Is it possible to use a SUN3 with NetBSD 1.2 as an X-terminal or as a diskless
> > ?
> >If yes how ?
>
> Yes, man diskless(8).

also, if you want an Xterminal, you could use Ian's Xkernel for sun3. You
can get it from ftp://ftp.cynic.net/ftp/pub/NetBSD/X11-sun3.

A few words fom Ian about getting it working:

It would have been good if I had turned this into a friendly package,
but I didn't have time so I just tarred up what I had.

The best advice I can give to anyone wanting to use this is
have a look at

   ftp://ftp.ctr.columbia.edu/pub/Xkernel/Xkernel-2.0-beta/

especially the file  Xpert.tar.z.

The latter has detailed, but not 100% correct(!) instructions for
setting up an Xkernel configuration. All I did was follow those, putNetBSD versions of all the executables instead of SunOs versions and
make some minor tweaks to /sbin/init. There is no necessary win to
doing this except in my case I want to set up some PC's as X terminals
and using NetBSD I should be able to have a more or less identical
software configuration for the Sun3 and the PC. Plus, of course,
NetBSD is more up-to-date and I get the source.

rob

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | deker@digex.net
out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through    |
the Hub, out the gateway.           |
        Nothing but net."           |