Subject: Re: Lost password
To: Rick GC <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Bob Beck <beck@obtuse.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/17/1997 20:01:19
	Yes, you can boot off a tape and do it just fine, in fact, if
you can make yourself a netbsd boot tape it might even work, all you
have to do it mount /, get at /etc/passwd, and zot root's crypted
password entry.  You could also boot off the net rather than a tape.
You could also plug the drive into any other NetBSD or SunOS sun box
and mount the / filesystem, and do the same thing.

	Just in case you haven't tried it, unless the person changed
the way SunOS 4.1.1 comes out of the box, you can also try (from the
prom monitor)

> b sd(0,0,0) -s
(or whatever target your drive is)

	and unless they made the console unsecure in the /etc/ttytab
file (it isn't by default) you'll be up in single user mode without
a password. then you just change root's pasword and you're done.

	Toodles,
	-Bob