Subject: Re: Two things I would like to have....
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/10/1997 07:25:48
Bruce Walker <bmw@visgen.com>
>Brett Lymn writes:
>>
>> Secondly I have a couple of _real_ Western Digital network cards
>> (WD8003E I think) the problem is that I have not setup disk for them -
>> there is supposedly a "diag" disk that has the program for setting the
>> parameters on the card.  I have the driver disk but that is no help to
>> me and the WD WWW site has nothing helpful :-(  Has anyone got the
>> appropriate utility or a functional replacement or even a site where I
>> can pick up same?
>
>As far as I know, the setup utilities for the newer SMC cards can
>all handle older SMC and WD cards.  Eg: the setup program for the
>SMC8216 (Ether Elite 16) can definitely do the WD8003.  Go to the
>SMC site for these. (SMC bought the entire ethernet division of WD.)
>
>    http://www.smc.com/

from dusty old DOS notes I made:
  EZSETUP *does not* detect WD8003E boards whereas the DIAGNOSE utility
  does. However it doesn't seem to provide the ethernet address. I used
  the PCNFS MYEADDR utility for this but you need to know the board type
  and settings, eg
    myeaddr wd8003e 240 3

cheers,
Danny Thomas