Subject: Re: fsck
To: Jon Ribbens <jon@oaktree.co.uk>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/07/1997 12:06:47
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997 19:57:01 +0100
 Jon Ribbens <jon@oaktree.co.uk> wrote:

 > Fine by me. What I'm unhappy with is the operating system apparently
 > deliberately going out of its way to make things difficult, and not
 > going even the slightest bit out of its way to make things easier.
 > I'm not asking for a lot here.

FWIW, I happen to agree with you... fsck can be a mite intimidating, esp.
considering that when you're interacting with it, you're typically thinking
"Oh, sh*t.  I hope I didn't lose _too_ much..."

 > Cool. Maybe someday it'll even be documented.

Actually, quite a lot of the fsck behavior is documented in the paper
entitled:

	Fsck_ffs - The UNIX File System Check Program

This is SMM chapter 3, and can be formatted for printing by doing:

	cd /usr/share/doc/smm/03.fsck_ffs
	make

You'll get a "paper.ps" suitable for printing.