Subject: fsck
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Ribbens <jon@oaktree.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/07/1997 15:28:40
Can anyone recommend a good instruction manual for fsck? The
manpage is, as usual, not very helpful. fsck itself, while
running, has a tendency to report incomprehensible errors,
followed by asking unanswerable questions. ("REMOVE y/n". So,
what happens if I say "yes"? What happens if I say "no"? Do
I *need* to say "yes" in order for the disk to be fixed? What
bad things might happen with either choice? Why is it even
asking me - what problem has it found?)

We just got a whole load of fsck errors (requiring a manual fsck)
from a NetBSD 1.2 machine with nobody at all logged in which was
rebooted unexpectedly. Surely this must indicate a bug in either
ffs or fsck? (I thought the point was fsck was supposed to be
able to fix this sort of thing without help.) We ran fsck, it
asked us whether we wanted to remove a whole load of files, we
said yes on the basis of flipping a coin. We ran it again after
it had completed, and it then asked us if we wanted to reconnect
all the same files again, so the net effect was to move them
to /lost+found. Excitement.

Anyway, does anyone have any helpful comments? ;-)

Cheers

Jon
____
\  //    Jon Ribbens    //