Subject: Re: PPP/Routed/Gated Question
To: None <David.Eckhardt@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/01/1997 10:51:12
       I've got a NetBSD-1.2-sparc system setup call my ISP
       over PPP.  Everything is working, however, I've added
       a second machine to my network and I can't get it to
       connect outside. It appears that the datagrams are
       getting routed out over the PPP line, but not making
       it back.

   Many ISPs don't support this setup (multiple machines routed over
   one phone line).  Some will if you talk to them and maybe pay them
   extra.  There may well be nothing you can do on your end (after
   all, the problem is that you need them to route your second machine
   back to you).

   If you have a cooperative machine on the outside Internet, you might
   be able to get it to tunnel packets back to you via your ISP-supported
   machine, but I don't know of an out-of-the-box way to do this.

   Dave Eckhardt
   davide@cs.cmu.edu

Hello...

On the services side, SOCKS and proxy HTTP daemons can do wonders for
machines in a local LAN.  On the protocol side, the NAT stuff in
-current would seem to show promise.  [I personally, have not tried to
use this, however].

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org