Subject: Re: lpt0 -> kernel hang in 1.2/i386
To: Wailer <banshee@gabriella.abattoir.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@CS.cmu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/1997 16:51:10
> this sounds like the old interrupt problem that would hang my i386
> on attempting to print.  I can't find the patches that I used back then
> (pre 1.1?) but it involved some more delay.  I'm sure they are in the
> email archive somewhere.  I haven't had any printing issues 1.2+

That problem is rather old, btw.  When i converted lpt.c to use the
new bus.h bus_space_* macros, i told people to get in touch with me if
they were having problems, and a couple got in touch related to that
problem.

There are at least two PRs on what i'd guess is the same problem:

PR 443 (August, 1994): Printer on Parallel Port can cause OS to crash ...

and yours

PR 2558 (June, 1996): lpt interupt based crashes

I note that in your PR you ask "when and why did this break?  early
march?", and the presence of the previous PR makes me think that it's
been around for a long, long time.

Folks you actually can reproduce hard hangs or reboots by using their
lpt ports should probably file PRs about their problems, if only so
that anybody trying to fix the problem could have them test code.

cgd