Subject: lpt0 -> kernel hang in 1.2/i386
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/1997 13:28:13
After upgrading a 1.1/i386 machine to 1.2, I have problems using
/dev/lpt0.

Sending data to this device (a parallel printer - a TI Microlaser 600E
- is connected to it) cause the whole machine to hang (no keyboard
reaction, no answer to ping), but only if a certain amount of data is
sent.

For example 'echo foo > /dev/lpt0' doesn't cause harm, `cat
somefile.ps > /dev/lpt0' hangs the machine.

Another probably related oddity is that the first attempt to print to
this device using lpr/lpd cause the error message:

  lpr: cannot create /var/spool/lpd/dfA478joker.bik-gmbh.de

and an identical print command lanched immedeatly thereafter doesn't
trigger this message, but hangs the machine as describben above.

The parallel device is the onboard one of an Asus-Triton board (Triton
II, if I remember conrectly), running with a 166 MHz Pentium. The
machine printed flawlessly under 1.1.

The 1.2 upgrade was done by compiling 1.2 sources on top of 1.1, but I
recompiled things a number of times. I use for sure the real 1.2
compilation tools to compile my kernel.

Any ideas what could have caused this and/or what to do?

Thanks in advance
        Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>