Subject: Re: Newbie/Installing to ZIP?
To: None <earache@pop.loop.com>
From: Jason Godfrey <godfreja@adam.cs.uwec.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/24/1997 22:25:50
>1.)  Can NetBSD be installed to a ZIP disk?  (I suspect this to be a FAQ
>with the answer of "NO!!", but I haven't been able to track it down...)
>Created the partitions with HDToolKit, but mkfs doesn't like 'em, and I
>can't seem to do much with them....Y? (Pointers?) N?

  Yep, it can be used with a Zip drive. The details are at
http://puma.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/zip-HOWTO.  Also check out
www.macbsd.com for lots of general info about NetBSD/mac68k, including a
FAQ.

  As far as the partitions go, you might want to try the latest version of
mkfs. It has the ability to turn partitions into the right type. (Not sure
on the the version number.)

>2.)  Every time I check to see if a kernel is compatible by starting to
>boot it from the Mac OS, I get "wrong file type" every time.  I have dl'ed
>about 6 different kernels using Anarchie and Netscrape (saving as "source")
>with no success.  (Anarchie is supposed to be able to recognize the file
>type and transfer accordingly--Version 1.6.0 doesn't seem to have "binary"
>or "MacBinary" selectable modes..)  What simple thing am I missing?

   You need to untar and ungzip the file. Stuffit Expander should take care
of the gziping, and there is a program called SunTar that can untar it.
Also make sure you use binary mode for the download (Perhaps Fetch would be
a good choice for this.)

  Good Luck.

Jason Godfrey                                godfreja@adam.cs.uwec.edu
Public Key 889CFB21 = 03 39 5D D7 D6 02 7C 46  CD CB ED 42 9C E6 83 03
http://www.cs.uwec.edu/~godfreja

                2+2=5 for very large values of 2