Subject: Re: Newbie/Installing to ZIP?
To: None <earache@pop.loop.com>
From: Jeremy Williams <jwilliams@RoanokeVA.NET>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/24/1997 22:58:56
At 10:16 PM -0500 2/24/97, earache@pop.loop.com wrote:
>1.)  Can NetBSD be installed to a ZIP disk?  (I suspect this to be a FAQ
>with the answer of "NO!!", but I haven't been able to track it down...)
>Created the partitions with HDToolKit, but mkfs doesn't like 'em, and I
>can't seem to do much with them....Y? (Pointers?) N?

Roger on the zip disk install.  I've done it.  Hey!  I'm doing it right
now!  Sorry bout the revelation, but It just happened and I couldn't
control it.  There is a faq on zip disk partitioning/formatting at
www.macbsd.com.  You will need that information to give mkfs.  I wonder...
are you sure that you did the partitioning correct?  The names have to be
EXACT.  I would recommend using a hacked version of HD SC Setup to do the
partitioning because it's generally foolproof.  If you need a copy, gimmie
a yell at _my_ e-mail account (not the listserv)

>2.)  Every time I check to see if a kernel is compatible by starting to
>boot it from the Mac OS, I get "wrong file type" every time.  I have dl'ed
>about 6 different kernels using Anarchie and Netscrape (saving as "source")
>with no success.  (Anarchie is supposed to be able to recognize the file
>type and transfer accordingly--Version 1.6.0 doesn't seem to have "binary"
>or "MacBinary" selectable modes..)  What simple thing am I missing?

When you d-loaded the kernal, make sure that you select binary mode.  You
should probably use Fetch (available anywhere).  Netscape won't ever work,
and Anarchy will but I don't use it, so I can't tell you how.  Fetch has
this great "Binary" button at the bottom of the ftp window.  Simplicity.
The binary files don't have an extension on the end to designate their
content, so Anarchy probably assumes that they are text ( a generally safe
assumption).

>......Oh....Q610 w/FPU

I'm not sure if there is currently a stable kernal for your system, though.
The 040 kernal is still in development I think?  Anyone know?

--
Jeremy Williams
jwilliams@roanokeva.net