Subject: Re: 'No buffer space' error - Help!
To: None <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/21/1997 14:13:46
> >We recently installed NetBSD-1.2 on a P6 Pro 200Mhz
> >machine with a 3COM PCI 3c-590-combo ethernet card.
> >
> >Works fine, very spiffy.  However, when we try to
> >ftp to it, it locks up.  Any future ftp or telnet
> >sessions are also locked until we reboot the
> >machine.  The error we are getting on the console
> >at this point is:
> >    machinename times[59]: acksend.c 108: sendto 333.333.33.333:
> >	no buffer space available
>
> Network data is transported within the kernel in data structures
> called mbufs.  There are a fixed number of available mbufs, and it
> looks like something in your system is grabbing them and not letting
> them go.
>
> To see where your mbufs are going, type:
>
> % netstat -m
>
> The statistics printed by netstat should help you find out what's
> going wrong.  See netstat(8) for details.
>
> One possible solution is to kill and restart network daemons
> (i.e. named, sendmail, rpc.*, timed, &c.) to free up some mbufs.

"no buffer space available" is typically result of interface card/driver
hang - output queue is not processed. In this case, I'm almost sure you
need newer driver (from -current) for ep.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,