Subject: Re: 128 Megs o' RAM on 1.2, What to do?
To: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@user1.channel1.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/1997 23:51:49
> > So I took the refreshing plunge and max'ed out my RAM. Of
> > course, it only deals with 64M. What specifically do I need to do to
> > get the kernel to recognize the full 128 Megs and not panic.
> >
> > Yes, the BIOS sees all the memory.
> >
> 	Add 'options        BIOSEXTMEM=...'
> 	to your config - this is probably your total memory minus
> 	1Mb
This I have done... Sort of. I set it to 131072, which is what my BIOS reports.
This causes the kernel to see all the memory, but later it panics. If I set it
to the correct number of bytes, it freaks out. I can only assume, faced with
insufficient documentation, that the number required is the number of kilobytes.

I was just about to ask why it should be set to total - 1 meg when I remembered what
architecture I was dealing with.

BTW, it's just EXTMEM.

I would say that the architecture problems should be buried in the code. The sysadmin
should be able to put in the total memory, and machdep.c can take care of partitioning it.

> 	In fact if you do not need kernel dumps then you _could_ run
> 	with zero swap - netbsd wont hit the swap until you run out of ram
> 	anyway... but its nice to have the swap just in case :)
Well, I don't have dumps configured anyway, basically because This isn't a kernal
development machine. I'll leave the swap. If it every hits, I'll ring a bell, and declare
myself a real hardcore something or other. Hopefully animator.

> 	PS: Lucky so & so :)
Actually, it only cost $544.00. Now for the Matrox card and the 17" monitor...
--
Hacksaw
Another try, coming up...