Subject: Re: 128 Megs o' RAM on 1.2, What to do?
To: Hacksaw <hacksaw@user1.channel1.com>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/1997 21:51:40
On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Hacksaw wrote:

> So I took the refreshing plunge and max'ed out my RAM. Of
> course, it only deals with 64M. What specifically do I need to do to
> get the kernel to recognize the full 128 Megs and not panic.
>
> Yes, the BIOS sees all the memory.

	Add 'options        BIOSEXTMEM=...'
	to your config - this is probably your total memory minus
	1Mb

> Will the poor thing freak out if it doesn't have matching swap space?
> (I have 64M).

	Only if you need to crashdump because of a panic & find you
	were using more ram than you have swap.

	In fact if you do not need kernel dumps then you _could_ run
	with zero swap - netbsd wont hit the swap until you run out of ram
	anyway... but its nice to have the swap just in case :)

	PS: Lucky so & so :)

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

     Microsoft: Asks you where you want to go. NetBSD gets you there.
System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.