Subject: Re: NetBSD and Pipeline 50/75 configuration
To: Paul M. Newhouse <newhouse@pimin.diac.com>
From: Jonathan Marsden <Jonathan@XC.Org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/1997 09:55:24
On 14 Feb 1997, Paul M. Newhouse writes:

> I'm trying to configure a Pipeline 50 & 75 through a COM port.
> I have the serial WAN stuff turned off.
> I'm trying to use tip (is this the wrong thing?) to connect to
> the Pipelines.  tip hangs around for a short while then says
> "link down".
>
> Has anyone configured a Pipeline with NetBSD that can suggest what
> I'm doing wrong?

I've not done that exact thing, but I have found that for talking to
slightly oddball serial devices in general, Kermit (from
ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit ) is easier to play with than tip.
It is easier (for me!) to do things like interactively ignore CD, set
speed and parity, etc until it works.

Alternate approach: it may be as easy or easier to just configure the
routers through their Ethernet port using Telnet :-)

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Marsden   | Internet: jonathan@xc.org  | Making electronic
1849 N. Wabash Ave.| Phone: +1 (909) 794 1151   | communications work