Subject: Re: building current
To: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/1997 18:02:59
	You can union mount another file system on top of it (or
	mount it under another filesystem) (See mount_union).

	Assume your source tree is in /usr/sourcetree and you
	have plenty of free space in /var/lotsfree.

	'mount_union -b /usr/sourcetree /var/lotsfree'

	will mount /usr/sourcetree _under_ /var/lotsfree.
	Any changes you make in /var/lotsfree (editing files,
	compiling) will create files in the upper layer (/var/lotsfree)
	which will hide the files in the lower layer. You can still
	get at the original files by 'cd'ing to /usr/sourcetree.

	I use union filesystems a lot (I nfs export my sourcetree to
	various machines then union mount it underneath /usr/src
	on each machine) and it is a _really_ good thing.

	It is not 100% reliable - people have reported it sometimes
	panics a machine with 'locking against myself', but I cant
	remember that ever happening to me (yet :)

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

Thought for : Loathing the way "Don't cry for me Argentina" has
  the day   : been bastardized by Madonna into a 'disco' song.