Subject: Re: Pentium PRO
To: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/05/1997 17:01:42
Quoting David Brownlee,

> On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Brad Colbert wrote:
> >
> >    Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, but...
> >
> >    Is it worth my time to concider getting a computer with a Pentium PRO?
> >
> 	I would say yes - if you can afford it :) A Pentium Pro based
> 	machine will outperform a non 'pro machine for NetBSD.

> >    How long till we get multi-processing?  Is there any way I can be involved
> >    in that effort?

> 	I believe some people are working on getting NetBSD to run on
> 	multi-processor machines.

For the i386: I'm working on that one (and some other people have at least
plans to work on it). I'd hoped to do a lot during the holiday season, but that
fell through. As soon as there's code that is usable (implementing the
the first step of having only one processor active in the kernel), it'll
probably be made available in some way. I can't give any dates here, though.

- Frank