Subject: Re: netbsd-i386 to mac network questions
To: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim) <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.giganet.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/31/1997 10:28:39
Hi,

What is the existing Mac network using: LocalTalk or Ethernet?  If it is
ethernet, then just put the NetBSD box on the smae Ethernet LAN.  If it is
LocalTalk, then you will have to do serial connections.  What you will
need is null (cross) modem cables with the Mac connector on one end and
the appropriate PC connector on the other to the NetBSd box.  BTW, how
many serial ports does your NetBSD box have?

Long term, I would think it is better to go with Ethernet for the Macs,
even if they do not have Ethernet already.  An Ethernet LAN will scale
much better than a serial LAN.  (I managed a serial LAN for 3 years.)  And
by the time you figure in the cost for all the special Mac-PC null modem
serial cabling, Ethernet might not be that much more expensive.

Good luck.  And the crack about Apple going bankrupt is asking for a flame
war. ;->

Mark Andres                             Head, Support Dept.
         GIGANET by Business Network Telecom (BNT)