Subject: Re: Getting 3c590 to work with NetBSD 1.2 for the 386
To: None <Jonathan@XC.Org, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/29/1997 10:50:17
In article <199701281821.KAA23675@abraham.xc.org> you write:
> On 28 Jan 1997, Kevin McMahon writes:
>
> > I'm trying to install NetBSD on a Pentium with a 3c590 ethernet
> > card.  The card works with the Windows 95 installed on the disk.
> > The NetBSD kernel sees the card, assigns it ep1, and mentions the
> > correct IRQ (11).  I do a ifconfig ep1 <ipaddr>, which works fine,
> > but I can't ping anyone.  After a bit, it says "ping: sendto: Host
> > is down".  I'm using the BNC connector on the card.  In Windows 95,
>
> (1) To use this card, I had to use the DOS utility 3C59XCFG.EXE to set
> the card to use that connector; I was unable to get this card to work
> using the BNC or the UTP connector if the card was set to auto-detect
> the cable type.  I had the same problem (auto-detect of cable fails)
> for 3C509 cards in other machines, BTW.

Actually, it sounds like the same problem I had/have with the 590.
Setting the connector manually with 3C59XCFG.EXE doesn't help. The
problem was especially bas with 1.2, which I suspect is what he's
installing. With -current plus some patches from Johnathon Stone, it
works much better, as long as the machine is hard reset each time before
booting NetBSD.