Subject: Re: installing over FreeBSD
To: Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/27/1997 10:50:25
On Mon, 27 Jan 1997 05:34:30 -0600 (CST)
 Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com> wrote:

 >   I am considering switching our half a dozen or so FreeBSD machines to
 > NetBSD.  These are all Pentium or Pentium Pro machines.  Is there
 > anything that I need to watch for?  Will this be a simple upgrade where
 > most of my data files will stay intact?  I booted off a NetBSD 1.2
 > floppy and was able to mount my existing file system, but NetBSD seems
 > to use ffs by default vs. ufs in FreeBSD.

"ffs" and "ufs" are the same file system; "ffs" is the new name for it.

 >   My primary reason for switching is that NetBSD seems to support what
 > *I* want better and it's not clear that FreeBSD will support them
 > anytime soon.  Are there other advantages/disadvantages on this switch?
 > I am not trying to start another "BSD war" thread but simply wish to
 > make an informed decision.

I think mainly you get a higher-quality code base, which is better
prepared to support new hardware and architectures, as well as a
very reliable platform (due to the conservative approach taken
by the NetBSD developers).