Subject: Problems with ppp *and* ethernet...
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D. Jay Newman <jay@sprucegrove.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/1997 15:26:33
Hi:

I am trying to use a netbsd box (qabalah.sprucegrove.com) as a gateway.
It is sitting at my house connected to a small lan (consisting of a Mac
and qabalah). Qabalah has an ethernet card (de0), and a ppp connection
to the rest of the world.

I can easily get *either* the ethernet to work, *or* the ppp0 connection
to work: not both.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. ANY suggestions would be
appreciated.

My setup:

/etc/hostname.de0

inet qabalah 0xffffff00

____

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1      localhost

208.133.255.38 qabalah qabalah.sprucegrove.com
208.133.255.37 fortune fortune.sprucegrove.com
208.133.255.39 mystic mystic.sprucegrove.com

____

/etc/resolv.conf

domain sprucegrove.com

nameserver 208.133.255.5
nameserver 208.133.255.10

____

/etc/ppp/options

tty00 57600
crtscts
proxyarp
modem
connect 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat.tioga'
netmask 255.255.255.255
208.133.255.38:208.133.255.55
defaultroute

____

The connect script works. I can connect and ping the gateway even if
I don't have the ethernet up (I just can't get anywhere else).

The above setup works if I remove the hostname.de0 file (or have the
ethernet hub turned off).

The options file seems to work the same with the netmask set to either
255.255.255.0 or 255.255.255.255. Proxyarp doesn't seem to help or
hurt.

At the moment, I have routed turned off, but I've tried this with
a variety of options ("-q", "-s", "", "NO"), and nothing seems to
matter.

I am currently at my wit's end (and I'm never far from there to begin
with). As I said above, any suggestions, even ones that seem silly
are appreciated. I may have fogotten a file somewhere, or may a silly
syntax error.

Thanks in advance.

ps. I have tried to post this question twice before, but haven't seen
    it either as a note (I'm on the list) or in the archives. Just
    curious.
--
D. Jay Newman                   ! For the pleasure and the profit it derives
jay@sprucegrove.com              ! I arrange things, like furniture, and