Subject: Mounting netbsd:/cdrom to other UNIX systems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Piet Tutelaers <P.T.H.Tutelaers@urc.tue.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/23/1997 12:05:27
I have had unexpected problems in mounting my `netbsd:/cdrom' directory
to a Solaris and Digital UNIX (alpha) system. After a lot of trial and
error I found out, with the help of colleages, that the problem was
caused by the fact that NFSD on NetBSD uses by default the UDP and
*not* the TCP protocol. So the problem can be easily solved by starting
the NFSD daemon with the `-ut' flags. For example with next lines in
/etc/rc.local:

------------- part of /etc/rc.local -----------------------------
# start NFS and MOUNT daemon
if [ -f /etc/exports ]; then
        echo 'Starting NFS and MOUNT daemon'
        /sbin/nfsd -ut          # -t necessary for TCP protocol !!!
        /sbin/mountd
fi

Perhaps this `nitty-gritty-detail' can be added to the *BSD FAQ?

--Piet

internet: rcpt@urc.tue.nl      __o      Piet Tutelaers
                             _`\<,_     Computer Center       Room  RC 1.82
phone:  +31 (0)40 2474541   (_)/ (_)    Eindhoven University of  Technology
fax:    +31 (0)40 2434438  Save nature  P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, NL